Tuesday, April 4, 2017

REVIEW: A Pattern for Pepper by Julie Kraulis ( kids book)

A Pattern for Pepper


Pepper is getting a dress made for a special occasion. It's the first dress that has ever been made just for her, and she wants it to be perfect. But what pattern is right for her? Pepper is particular, and nothing works at first. Dotted Swiss? Too plain. Houndstooth? Not enough color. Pinstripe? Too glum. As Pepper learns about each fabric, she finds a reason why it's just not the one. Will Pepper ever be able to find the perfect pattern?
Julie Kraulis takes readers on a journey through gorgeous patterns and their origins--from the mountains of Switzerland to the green grass of Scotland--in search of Pepper's ideal pattern. The incredible illustrations make for a dress, a character and a book that are impossible to forget.
 


MY REVIEW:

The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover.  How can anyone pass up a little girl sitting on fabric. The story is a simple one any little girl would enjoy reading , pepper needs a dress for a special occasion so her mother takes her to tailor to have one made special just for her.  The tailor teaches her a short history lesson on each  pattern on fabric such as ikat, paisley, houndstooth, swiss dot, and so many more. After learning the different patterns they find the one that is just right for her. 

My favorite part of the book is the history of the patterns, I am new to the sewing world so this  was fun for me to learn so I can I can introduce my daughter’s to the joys of sewing as well.  My daughter’s favorite part was hearing about all the different parts of the world that the patterns come from. I pulled up each country on Google so we could read some info on each country. My girl’s LOVED learning not only about the patterns and where they came from, but loved it when I showed them what the country’s look like and their rich histories. This book is NOT a non-fiction book, but the patterns in sewing are real and where they come from.

This book is scheduled to be released on August 1, 2017 as a hardcover.

No comments: